Bases Santiago Wild 2023
Apply with your wildlife, environmental and community production to participate in the different instances offered by the festival. The finalists will be part of the official showcase of this incredible film festival, organized with the support of Ladera Sur, with the support of Jackson Wild and the sponsorship of National Geographic. Check the rules of the categories to which it is possible to apply.
In its third version, the awaited Santiago Wild film festival invites all producers, documentary and nature filmmakers to send their best works on wildlife, environment and communities to participate in the categories “New Latin American Voices” and “Latin America from the eyes of the world”, through the subcategories of short and feature films.
By applying, each participant is competing for the opportunity to be part of Santiago Wild 2023. This is because the finalist films will be screened at this festival, to be held between March 23 and April 2, 2023, and organized by Ladera Sur with the support of Jackson Wild and the sponsorship of National Geographic.
Bases for participating in the different categories of the Santiago Wild 2023 film festival
This year the Santiago Wild Festival will have for the first time two categories:
1.”New Latin American Voices”
- This is a competition that invites all Latin American talents to apply with their wildlife and environmental productions filmed around the world.
- This competition has two subcategories: short films and feature films.
- Prizes will be awarded to the winners of the short and feature film subcategories.
- The films must have been made by Latin Americans.
2.”Latin America from the eyes of the world”
- This is a mention that invites talents from all over the world to apply with their wildlife and environmental productions, filmed in Latin America.
- This mention has two subcategories: short films and feature films.
- Recognition will be given to outstanding productions in the subcategories of short and feature films.
To participate in either of the two categories:
- Participants will have until January 15, 2023 to apply and finalists will be announced during the month of March 2023.
- Productions must be limited to wildlife, environmental and community themes only.
What is meant by “wildlife”?
- All subjects that relate to the flora, fauna, fungi and other organisms that inhabit the Earth.
- It includes films that tell stories about wildlife species, natural ecosystems and, ultimately, biotic (living) and abiotic (non-living) factors that are part of our planet.
What is meant by “environment and communities”?
- Themes that revolve around the environmental contingency and human actions that impact biodiversity or the planet to varying degrees, either positively or negatively. Phenomena such as the climate crisis, global change, national and/or local socio-environmental conflicts, and threats to specific species or ecosystems are some examples.
- Initiatives that seek to conserve, recover and/or restore some component of nature (such as an endangered species or ecosystem), or generate environmental awareness.
- Productions that address the relationship between humans and their environment, focusing on health, psychological, reflections and learning, among other issues. For example, healing through nature, forest baths and healing, etc.
- Works that cover the relationship of communities and native peoples with nature.
What is a short film or micro-documentary?
It is an audiovisual film production of less than 17 minutes.
What is a feature film or movie?
It is a cinematographic audiovisual production that lasts more than 17 minutes.
- Films may have brand sponsorships. However, the use of brand names should be kept to a minimum in the production. Productions that focus on a particular brand for promotional purposes will not be considered.
- In terms of technical requirements, participants must submit their films in a Vimeo/Youtube link with a password and username.
- For foreign language films, Spanish subtitles or dubbing are requested.
- Registration is free of charge.
- The production must be made after January 1, 2019.
- There is no limit to how many productions can be submitted.
- Entries will be accepted from filmmakers, audiovisual producers, production companies, among others, for which their representatives must send to the email created especially for this contest: firstname.lastname@example.org. Entries must be accompanied by the following information:
- Full name of the representative and all partners/participants involved in each production.
- Category (New Latin American Voices or Latin America from the Eyes of the World) and subcategory (Short or Feature Film)
- Name of documentary/film
- A brief description of the documentary/film
- The deadline for submitting films will be from July 26, 2022 until 23:59 on January 15, 2023.
- Films must be original and authored by the entrant.
- Finalists must submit a copy of their production in the highest quality available, to be screened at the event.
- Finalists will be asked for additional material of the productions, such as promotional photographs, promotional clip (trailer) and audiovisual material for social networks.
- Participation in the contest implies the acceptance of each and every one of the Rules of the contest. The organization is empowered to resolve any contingency not foreseen in the Bases.
The realization and participation in the Media Lab is totally independent from the competition. Therefore, the competition will not influence the selection of the members of the Media Lab nor the awarding of their films.
- By participating in the competition, the entrant declares and guarantees that: the entrant grants Santiago Wild the rights to exhibit the film at the festival, as well as the right to promote the film in or through all currently known Internet and media formats.
- In order to participate, the entrant must own all rights, title and interest, including copyright and all intellectual property rights, in and to the film that would be presented at the Festival.
- The content and production of each documentary film is the sole responsibility of its creators. The Santiago Wild Festival and its collaborators are not responsible for the opinions, actions or legal aspects of the productions submitted and selected for the competition.
- The winners of short and feature films in the “New Latin American Voices” category will each receive a ticket to Jackson Wild 2023. In addition, their documentaries will be screened at Santiago Wild 2023.
- The short and feature films recognized in the “Latin America in the Eyes of the World” category will be screened at Santiago Wild 2023.
The finalists in both categories will be announced in March 2023.
For any questions, please write to email@example.com.
Ladera Sur will soon give other Santiago Wild news, such as the films that will be part of the line-up, the directors, and much more!
** JURY TO BE ANNOUNCED IN DECEMBER 2022 **